Friday, March 23, 2007

Critical Thinking and the Grand Canyon

The stages of critical thinking are constantly practiced in the sciences surrounding ecology. As an amateur ecologist, I went through the processes of identifying, gathering, examining, formulating, applying, evaluating, and reflecting. When I was going through the Grand Canyon on the boat, I identified strange, ghostlike markings on the rocks. Over the day I saw more of them. I examined the rocks to see what they were. I had the idea that some of the markings were there as a result of human effort. Humans had actually carved into the rocks at the Grand Canyon. I evaluated this against what my guides were telling me. After evaluating the information I received through my own reasoning and the information given to me by my guides, I found that the markings in the rocks were not human markings at all, but markings that resulted from water draining down the sides of the Canyon. I then rejected my idea in favor of the reality, that the markings were indeed biochemical, not manmade. I then reflected on the differences between the human markings I was seeing and the natural markings. I realized that the human markings were smaller as well as closer to the ground. Critical thinking is always necessary whenever I try to learn about the world around me.

Steps of Critical Thinking

Identify- recognize clearly define root problem
Gather- assemble information to sort through
Examine- analyze pertinant information
Formulate- divise a plan
Apply- implement the plan
Evaluate- judge results objectively
Reflect- thinking about what you are doing and thinking

No comments: